As the news has more than fully explained the new deal to sell the Coyotes to Matt Hulsizer have reached an impasse. The Goldwater Institute, a tax payer watchdog group, has threatened to sue the city of Glendale, Arizona over its alleged gifts to Hulsizer in the purchase of the team.
Now I am not here today to argue for or against that deal, but what I did learn today did perk my ears up. In preparation of a potential possibility of the “Jets/Coyotes” moving back to Winnipeg the Thompson/Chipman group who currently own the MTS Centre and the Manitoba Moose have secured the name “Falcons“.
My source confirms that a logo and hockey sweater are ready to go should a team become available. My question is would Winnipeg accept the Falcons as a new team name?
The Falcons have a deep history in hockey history here in Canada and in Manitoba in particular. Being the first team in Olympic history to win a gold medal. Nostalgia runs deep here in the north, hockey is more than just a sport it is a way of life. Team names are cherished and coveted, people often describe their lives as revolving around the rink where their children play.
Personally I think that if the Jets name cannot be secured then the obvious second choice would be the Falcons. A team that echos in Manitoban hockey history would be a fitting name for any NHL team that may find its way home to Winnipeg.
Story Update: Doing some digging I found a likely candidate for a possible team sweater. Could this be the new look for a Winnipeg Hockey franchise?
- Canadians try to derail Phoenix Coyotes deal (sportingnews.com)
- Dreger: Coyotes situation could become clearer next week (tsn.ca)
- Bettman: Goldwater Institute ‘has placed cloud on bonds’ needed to sell Coyotes (thehockeynews.com)
- TSN’s Winnipeg Jets Meter Monitors Coyotes, Thrashers Ownership Troubles (sbnation.com)
- More trouble for Coyotes sale, as interest rates and legal issues might force a move to Winnipeg (prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com)
- Goldwater Institute fires back after Bettman’s comments (tsn.ca)
- Efforts to save Coyotes deal reach crisis point (aol.sportingnews.com)
- You: Bettman Visits Desert, Blasts Goldwater Institute for Holding Up Coyotes Deal (bleacherreport.com)
- Bettman on Coyotes sale: Time is running out (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Are Winnipegs NHL prayers about to be answered? (theglobeandmail.com)